Friday, July 23, 2010

Flashback Friday

I'm not flashing back too far for today's post...  Last month I ran the Utah Valley Marathon in Provo, Utah.  It was the first race for my 12 in 12 schedule.  June is kind of a funny month here in Utah because school's out and it seems like summer should officially begin.  Most years though June is still pretty cool and as in this year very rainy.  It had been raining off and on throughout the week leading up to race and I was a little worried...  I went prepared though and it's a dang good thing! 

Provo is about an hour drive from where I live and I had to leave my house by 2:45 a.m. to get there before 4 a.m. to make sure I was on a bus that would drive us up to start line!  The race was scheduled to start at 5:30 a.m. but due to some issues which I still know nothing about, the race began almost 20 minutes late... have you ever heard of that?  So we were hanging out at the start line for over an hour which thankfully it stayed in the 50's at the top of Provo Canyon - not shivering cold.

The course is gorgeous!  Beautiful, green canyon with a slight downhill grade for most of the course.  However, around mile 4 it began drizzling...  by mile 6 it was a downpour.  And raining hard for the next 4 miles.  We're talkin' wring out the sleeves of your shirt raining. Rain like I had a shower-head over me full blast.  I did say I was prepared though, I brought a garbage bag to put over me!  I really wish though I would have brought an extra pair of socks & shoes.  That is what killed me.  I might as well have had a swamp in my shoes.  This is gross, but it felt like the bottom layer of my foot was just going to pull away from my foot.  So so wet, and I never dried out before the end of the race.  Needless to say not by best finishing time.  4:41 to be exact.  I did finish feeling strong, I never hit the wall, but my feet were the problem...


Yeah, I know - that's not pretty but proof that I wasn't lyin'!  My feet had it rough! 

So onto Deseret News Marathon!  Hoping to get around a 4:20 finish time.  I went to pick up my race packet last night with my friend Lindsay, who is running the 10K!  She's a cycler but I'm trying to convert her!  This will be her first running race!  I hope she has a great experience and wants to do more.  You can check out her blog here... http://healthystride.blogspot.com/!

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Good luck this weekend with your marathon! You are going to do awesome:) Also, woo hoo for Lindsay running the 10K!

    Looking forward to your race report!

    ReplyDelete